Thursday, April 24, 2008

Coltsfoot and Dandelion Compared

Many have mentioned that it is difficult to tell dandelion and coltsfoot apart. Today I had the opportunity to document both plants. I made no effort to try for exceptional composition or lighting. The sole purpose was to demonstrate the differences in the plants.


Coltsfoot is one of the earliest blooming flowers in our area. When it first comes up there are no leaves visible, just the stalk with a flower on the end. Look closely at the stalk and notice that it is not smooth. Later the clusters of large leaves appear around the base of the plant. These usually appear late in the blooming cycle of the plant or after the flower has vanished.

Coltsfoot:Canon 100mmf2.8 macro

Dandelion has smooth stalks and elongated serrated leaves. The flower resembles the coltsfoot at a casual glance, but close inspection reveals a substantial difference. Dandelion begins blooming about the time that the coltsfoot blooms are in decline.


Dandelion: Canon 100mmf2.8 macro

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also have those yellow flowers around here, and they really grow up wild almost everywhere.
Never gave them much attention, but after this I guess I will.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the few times I have seen coltsfoot and dandelion on the same page. Nice shot, Willard.

I got my new Canon the other day. I have only taken two pictures with it so far. The shutter is really different in action and sound. It seems like it is motor driven but I don't think so.

Marie said...

Great spring photos!

Stacey Olson said...

Great informative post Willard. thanks for taking the time to show the world the difference in the two plants.

lv2scpbk said...

We have a bunch of dandelions in our yard.

Tom said...

How good to see them side by side like this Willard.. I like this a lot as I'm sure other will. How about a few more similar posts, I'm sure it would be most helpful.

Tom

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Willard: Great visuals today, when I was younger my Grandparents would have me go into pastures and cut dandelion greens before there were any flowers. They like to use them to make a dandelion salad. The dandelion leaves were used as the greens in the salad. It was good.

Kerri Farley said...

Fabulous Willard! I am one of those that couldn't tell the difference. Great post!!

DeeMom said...

In the early spring I see lots of coltsfoot along the highways, not the Interstates, the fun anddn pretty side roads...then, as you pointed out in your post the leaves become quite large and it seems to stabilize some rather nasty soils...

Great pictures...

Anonymous said...

This is a valuable post Willard--what a great comparison with good photos to make it easier!

imac said...

I have Dandelions then haha.

Interesting Willard.

Visit Adare Cottages in Ireland.
on a word verification free blog.