Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Go West Old Man, Go West-A Visit To Yellowstone Park

In 1865, Horace Greeley, editor of the New York Tribune, advised young men , "Go west young man, go west and grow up with the country" In one way I wish my ancestors had listened and I would have been born near to Yellowstone Park, but that was not to be and I never went west as a young man.

When our daughter, Amy and her friend, Justin Evans offered to take us on a week long excursion to Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons, my wife and I could not refuse.

On Sunday September 24th we flew from BWI to Salt Lake City, where we rented a van and headed for West Yellowstone.

"Travelin'Down ,That Long Lonesome Highway" toward West Yellowstone

We arrived in time to take a short drive into The Park. The road runs along The Madison River, which, is a paradise for wildlife. We saw a small bull elk that evening. It was not in a good setting for photography, but there were cows feeding in one of the meadows along the river.

Late Evening Along The Madison River

Many species of wildlife are attracted to streams and this area was to prove productive over the next few days as we traveled to the park in early morning and returned in late evening.

Young Cow Elk along Madison River Monday Morning

Stay tuned for more Yellowstone Photos soon!

10 comments:

Louise said...

I love Yellowstone, but haven't been there since a teenager. (That's a long time.) Our family hits a western National Park each year, so hopefully it will be on the list one day. (It's off our beaten path, but I believe worth the side trip.) Can't wait for more photos!

EG CameraGirl said...

Isn't Yellowstone amazing? I haven't been there in more than 20 years but I still have very fond memories. I'll enjoy your photos!

troutbirder said...

One of my favorite places in the world. Looking forward to more pics

Tommy said...

Man looks like you are having a great in Yellowstone. Can not wait to see more.

kjpweb said...

You bet I will be tuning in!
:) Go have fun and bring back lots of image loot!
Cheers, Klaus

The Birdlady said...

I've been waiting for these - can't wait to see more!

Brad Myers said...

Welcome back, I knew you would love it. Congratulations on the new future son-in-law also (I look at Ash's blog also). I can wait to see what it to come and I hope you had a bear encounter or two on Dunraven Pass.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Willard: I could barely wait for a chance to see what you saw in Yellowstone. I knew there would be some great photos. This elk shot is precious.

DeeMom said...

WOW what a trip. One day I want to go there as well.

Great shot of the Elk

Anonymous said...

very cool! looking forward to seeing your upcoming photos.

paz