Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pennsylvania Elk In Winter

Mid-Monday morning, February 23, found me traveling to Pennsylvania's North Woods to photograph and film the majestic Pennsylvania Elk. A few of the mature bulls have already shed their antlers and many more will do so in the next few weeks so this was likely my last chance of the winter, to record the animals while they still had antlers.

Most Mature Bulls Will Shed The Antlers Soon

It was bitter cold until Wednesday afternoon with deep snow remaining on the highest elevations, but the river bottoms and some of the meadows on the wind swept ridges had substantial areas of bare ground.

Bennett's Branch-Sinnemahoning Creek Near Hick's Run

Ronald "Buckwheat" Saffer met me on Tuesday afternoon and we spent portions of that day and the next photographing a bachelor group of bulls.



Buckwheat In Action In The North Woods
Canon XL-H1 Camcorder in foreground.



Mature Bull Resting At Sundown

Although we did not see a large number of bulls, the ones that we did encounter presented many excellent opportunities, which I hope to share with you in future posts.

12 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I hope you got some great footage of these beautiful animals Willard.

Unknown said...

Wow, they are beautiful. Bet you would love to get your hands on their sheds!

Shelley said...

I held my breath looking at these photos! Just outstanding! In the second photo - he looks so peaceful. I went looking for elk photo opportunities last weekend to no avail. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend.

Louise said...

Love that last picture of the bull!

Kekiinani said...

Lovely images as always. How fun to be out for several days shooting.. :) :) I think the 1st shot is sooo cute looks like he is quite the snooty thing... with his nose in the air. Still looks a tad cold over there. :) :) You folks have some serious gear... :) :)

Vanessa Bates said...

Oh wow!! Those are some awesome photos!!

Stacey Olson said...

Quality is always better than Quantity when it comes to taking picturs. and you have wonderful quality photos.. love the one with the brow tines brokens off.. great perspective... thanks for sharing

Brad Myers said...

Willard, you keep putting ideas in my head of were I should be going and when. Good shots, I hope you guys had a great time and I am looking forward to more from this trip in the future. I am off to Middle Creek in a few minute, maybe I will have a little luck.

imac said...

Mighty fine captures Willard, also super shots of the birds.
Hope you keeping well my friend.

Philip said...

Willard some greats shots I would love to see a little of the video you guys took !

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Willard: I love that shot of the resting elk.

Leedra said...

I like the last photo, but that first one he looks like he is wanting you to admire his antlers.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra