Saturday, January 29, 2011

Camera Critters: Wildlife In The Snow

Here, the ground has been bare most of the winter, with only short periods of light snow cover, but this changed when about 5" of snow fell this week.

With snow on the ground, and more flakes falling  from lake effect snow squalls, winter wildlife photography becomes very interesting. I especially like to film wildlife in falling snow, as video makes the falling snowflakes look very natural and lends a wild exciting look to the footage, but it is harder to portray the falling snow well with still images. These are two of the better images that I was able to capture during a heavy snow squall yesterday morning.

Whitetail Doe In Falling Snow

Mature Eastern Wild Turkey Gobbler

 Hopefully there will be more opportunities to pursue this type of photography as more snow is forecast for next week.

Photos taken with Canon 40-D and 100-400mm L lens.

For more Camera Critters photos, Click Here!

Originally posted at Pennsylvania Wildlife Photographer by Willard C. Hill

14 comments:

Lauren said...

Beautiful photos! That doe is absolutely stunning.

Anonymous said...

Stunning pics - especially that first one!

Unknown said...

Beautiful shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Unknown said...

As usual - very well done! I like visiting & getting a better feel for what's up in PA these days!

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your photos! Very well done.

Kay L. Davies said...

Fabulous photo of the deer - the light is just perfect. I've never seen a wild turkey, so I'm obviously hanging out in the wrong places. ;~)
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Chubskulit Rose said...

Beautiful shots!

Three Horses, have a great weekend!

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

fabulous captures, mmmmm... a 100-400mm it's on my wish list, actually I'm drooling over a 150-500 autofocus.

Anonymous said...

Very nice photos. I can't get that far out with what I got. My subjects are a lot smaller though so I can get away with it.

Marie said...

Just gorgeous photos -- I especially like the deer as the photo is so clear that it shows the fuzzy winter coat.

Visiting via Camera Critters

Marie
bonkersinbarnhart.com

V.L. Locey said...

I agree, that doe was just stunning! Lovely pictures as always Willard.

Gretchen said...

Those are absolutely stunning photos!

If you have a minute, stop over to my blog and pick up the award there. You're one of the special people I'm talking about.

FAB said...

I can fully appreciate the challenge of focusing with falling snow. The inquisitive Doe image is superb.

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures!!!!!